In Another Life

When we were eleven , we played catch at the yard;
You said your Daddy had it specially manicured for us.
When we were twelve, we danced to rock bands.
Then we were thirteen, you asked me out;
And I blushed that whole dinner date.

Because then, and now, we give stars silly names.
And here, somehow, our love has no frame.
And even though we've become a tad bit older;
Our love still remains.

I'm seventeen, you're two years older
Your future's calling: mine's just as loud.
I want to say our love won't smoulder;
But raging fire to ash is the way of this world.
Remember: when we were fourteen, you kissed me first;
And I just sat there and let you.

Because then, and now, we give everybody nicknames
And here, always, our love has no frame
And even though we're a tad bit wiser;
Our love still remains.

I'm twenty four, I got a law degree;
You're an up and coming engineer- and, it seems to me-
The future isn't ours, it's for those who see:
Teenage love and promises won't survive eternity.
Remember: I was nineteen, first year of university;
I called you every night, and hung up at dawn.

Because then, and now, we have our secret glances
I needn't say a word: our love stays unframed.
And even though we call ourselves learned;
Our love still remains.

We're in our late eighties, you've got a stoop;
I'm two years younger; but I've got one too!
It's dentures and crutches: porridge and soup.
We still dance to rock bands, You'll always kiss me first
The stars have silly names; There's always secret glances.
Remember: driving through life's shitty road;
I always had the shot gun seat: I sang, you drove.

Because even now, we're buried side by side
They never quite figured it out, Our love cannot be framed
And even though we're too far gone
Our love's alive: and we're remains.

P.S. They never figured our their nicknames.
Our Teenage love and promises are [seemingly] surviving eternity.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog